you mean instead of:
  %x(mpg123 -q file.mp3) just call the file like: %(file.mp3)? will that
work? and if so what would it use to play the file, just the system
default? and wouldnt that open a new window if that default app is
something like windows media player or rythmbox (any gui player)? maybe I'm
not totally understanding you. also what is a superset thread? currently my
code to initially open the song is something like this:
  def open_song(file)
    fork do
      %x(mpg123 -q file.mp3)

but I'm still working on a way to be able to pause or stop...

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 1:27 PM, thomas Perkins <thomas.perkins23 / icloud.com
> wrote:

> Why not just system call the music and thread it so that it'll play while
> the program runs on a superset thread? This could potentially cause
> problems when one thread crashes
>
> - Thomas Perkins
>
> > On Nov 19, 2016, at 3:23 PM, Micky Scandal <mickyscandal / gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > hello all, I have a quick question. I know ruby has no native sound
> support and at least from what I've read if you want music in your app you
> have to do something along the lines of a system call opening the file up
> in mplayer or mpg123 from within the app. my question is, what would be
> good lightweight easily re distributable player to embed in my app? I guess
> i should also mention the purpose of the app. I'm just trying to create a
> simple mp3 player with basic controls (back forward play pause etc).
> eventually once I got the basics working, I want to add support for lyrics
> search and stuff like that (that's my main goal but i need basic controls
> first)
> >
> > Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request / ruby-lang.org?subject=
> unsubscribe>
> > <http://lists.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ruby-talk>
>
> Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request / ruby-lang.org?subject=unsubscribe>

(supressed text/html)