On 2016-11-18 20:49, KING SABRI wrote:

> I'm sorry for being not so clear in my question.
>
> I'm using linux, and when we try to run a python script we type "python <tab>" the python binary can recognize all python files only . This is not the case with ruby binary

Ah! That's very interesting -- I'd never noticed that before, which is
kind of funny. Well, that's still not Ruby, per se. Tab completion is
accomplished by your shell, not the interpreter. Seems that someone
thought that would be a nice feature for Python (I admit it's kinda
nifty), and wrote up a module to do that, "argcomplete:"
https://argcomplete.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ [1] . Alas, it also
appears that no such thing exists for Ruby. HOWEVER. There's a way to
cheat that you appear to be unaware of. (This works for both Python and
Ruby.) There's no need for you to type the name of the interpreter at
all, if you've followed the shebang method. The first line of every Ruby
and Python script I have is (respectively):

#!/usr/bin/ruby

or

#!/usr/bin/python

Then, make sure the script is executable (chmod +x scriptname.py or
chmod +x scriptname.rb), and lo! These files are now "executables." And,
as long as the files reside in a directory that's in your path, you
could type scrip<tab>, and it would autocomplete the scriptname, itself.

Good luck!

-Ken

> On 19 November 2016 at 02:35, Toshihiko Ichida <dogatana / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2016/11/19 7:45, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> On 2016-11-18 17:29, Ryan Davis wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2016, at 14:18, KING SABRI <king.sabri / gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is there anyway to make the ruby commandline detects the .rb files
> like python?
> No clue what this means...

What he *probably* means is that he's on Windows, and wants to just type
<foo.rb> and have it execute. Which means he needs to go and Google
"Windows file associations", so that he can associate files ending in
.rb with the Ruby interpreter.

Note that Ruby, itself, doesn't do this -- rather, the operating system
does. Ruby doesn't. And we can do it manually as Ken wrote.

RubyInstaller for Windows does through setup if a checkbox is enabled.
I've never checked it though :)

--
Toshi

Senior Information Security Engineer
OSCE, GWAPT, CEH, OSCP, RHCE, CCNA, MCITP-EA