> > Not to be a pedant, but this seems like a huge breakage of the
> POLS,
> > if it bites everyone, no?   =)
>
> I see your point, but I disagree.
>
> If Ruby behaved identically to C, then the
> surprise for C programmers would be precisely
> zero.

Oh yes, I was playing devils advocate to a certain degree.

> In the first place, POLS is a Matz-centric phenomenon
> (as he has admitted). The more you think like Matz,
> the better you will understand Ruby.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but I've heard of
the "POLA" (A = astonishment) since the mid/late 80's.  I had assumed
POLS came from that.

> And I think Strings are not really Arrays. There are
> some isomorphisms there, since they are both "ordered
> collections of entities."

Yes, I agree here wholeheartedly.  To say that since Strings are
ordered sets and Arrays are ordered sets do not make them the same
thing.

=====
--
Use your computer to help find a cure for cancer: http://members.ud.com/projects/cancer/