Tom Sawyer wrote:

> thought it was strange myself. personally i'd like it if String and
> Array where a little more in harmony. in c/c++ strings are arrays, arn't
> they?

This is something which bites everybody, I think, at some point.

I think things will improve when Ruby gets i17m support.  Yes, in Ruby a
String is an array of bytes.  What about encodings that support multi-byte
characters?  How would you itterate over them?  Support for character
itteration /requires/ support for i17m (i18n?), and that is coming.  Until
then, there's String::split and String::each_byte... and even String::[].

--
 |..  "If you consider that the average person is stupid, then by
<|>    definition, 50% of them are even *more* dumb."
/|\   -- Dylan Roelofs
/|