Hi, Thank you for your reply.

From: Marvin G=FClker <m-guelker / phoenixmail.de>
Subject: Re: Use of Tk in Ruby
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 14:11:28 +0200

> Most people who want to know something about Tk in Ruby are going to
> take a look into the official Ruby documentation at
> http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib-2.3.1/libdoc/tk/rdoc/index.html, and that
> one shows an intimidating amount of classes so that one doesn't really
> know where to start. =

For this purpose, scripts under "<ruby-src>/ext/tk/sample/",
especially "<ruby-src>/ext/tk/sample/demos-en", were developed.

>                      Some other libraries in the ruby stdlib have
> useful documentation attached to the outermost namespace module, for
> example Net::HTTP or YAML, so the natural first thing to do is to take
> a look at the documentation of the Tk module at
> http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib-2.3.1/libdoc/tk/rdoc/Tk.html. There is no
> documentation on that module. If there is documentation available
> elsewhere in Ruby's source tree, there should at least be a note on
> the documentation of the Tk module itself. At this point, most people
> will have concluded there is no official documentation for the Tk
> stdlib available and thus will not further consider using the Tk
> bindings in the stdlib. I suspect that the impression of complexity
> comes from the lack of documentation paired with the intimidating
> amount of classes shown on the Tk overview page.

Do you think that the reason is "the lack of documents"?
Of course, it is a serious problem.
But it doesn't seem to be the reason of "didn't *LIKE* Tk".
I heard that some people said "I hate Tk", "Tk is ugly", and so on.
However, they didn't explain why they thought so.
Some of them criticized Tk based on obsolete knowledge.

In the past, I requested for help to develop the documents of Tk.
And I received many messages despising Tk.
It is too hard for one person, who is poor in English, =

to develop all documents of standard Tk (e.g. interpret all documents =

at "/usr/share/mann/*" for Ruby/Tk) and functions of Ruby/Tk only.
I couldn't keep the motivation under despite and no help. =

I heard many request for removing Tk from the standard libraries, =

and no request for keeping Tk in the standard libraries.
So, Ruby/Tk is removed from the latest Ruby's source tree.
-- =

Department of Artificial Intelligence, Kyushu Institute of Technology

Unsubscribe: <mailto:ruby-talk-request / ruby-lang.org?subject=3Dunsubscribe>