On Fri, 5 Jul 2002 15:56:27 +0900, Juergen Katins wrote:
> do i loop over all the characters?
>
> String.each does not sepaerate each character (as one would
> normally assume) but seperates lines (by default, using the record
> seperator). Maybe it would have better been named
> string.each_record. You can specify the seperator: str.each(
> aString=$/ ) example:

[snip]

> Unfortunately you can not use string.each("") to seperate after
each
> character.

Is there any practical reason why $/ -- or at least the argument to
string.each cannot be a regex? After all, it seems to me that '' is
behaving like /\n+/m -- and I personally find that Surprising, even
though it's documented. I can understand perhaps why $/ might not be
best suited for regex handling, but why not allow at least the
argument to each either be string or regex?

-austin
-- Austin Ziegler, austin / halostatue.ca on 2002.07.05 at 08.45.55