Subject: Simple SQLite app GTK importing from mmssms.db and using GContacts
	Date: gio 18 feb 16 09:55:52 +1100

Quoting Philip Rhoades (phil / pricom.com.au):

> I periodically crash or otherwise do a factory reset on my Android phone but
> rather than restoring all the SMS messages I would like to just import from
> the backup mmssms.db into a Linux app and keep all the old messages for
> historical posterity allowing me to search and look up messages etc in a
> consolidated DB.  I can't find anything in existence that does this nicely
> so it seems like the easiest way to do this would be build it myself using
> Ruby + GTK + SQLite?  Has anyone done anything like this?  Any pointers
> about where to get started?

This is a message of encouragement. The best usage of a computer is, I
think, to write your own apps for it. I have written several programs
with Ruby, Sqlite and GTK in the past. You can learn much through the
process. My advice is not to be put off by the perspective hardness of
the task. Just begin, and tackle one hurdle at a time. The beauty of
working for yourself is that you define what is needed. No
unreasonable requests coming from the management ;-)

Carlo