Guillermo Fernandez <guillermo.fernandez / epfl.ch> writes:

> > > 1- xemacs: I've tried to install ruby-mode.el, and I have searched
> > > Internet to find a solution, but I'm unable to make it work... and it's
> > > a little bit of a pain not having it! :-)
> > If your problem is that font-lock isn't working, then you need to add
> >   (load "font-lock")
> > at the start of your .emacs.
> Thank you fo rthe answer.
>
> I tried and it does not seem to work.
>
> Actually, my problem is that I'm not able to use neither the indentation
> neither the color of the source code (Yes, I have set the
> "Options->Syntax Highlighting->In this buffer" option).
> I tried to put the ruby-mode.el in the path of xemacs, and I have added
> (require 'ruby-mode) both in my .emacs and .xemacs-custom but it seems
> not to work. Have I missed a point in the ruby-mode.el installation? I
> searched the web for a general way of installing the *.el files, but I
> did not find any result...

Try putting the following in your .emacs too:

    (autoload 'ruby-mode "ruby-mode"
      "Mode for editing ruby source files" t)
    (setq auto-mode-alist
       (append '(("\\.rb$" . ruby-mode)) auto-mode-alist))

The first two lines tell emacs the name of the file that implements
ruby-mode, and the second two tells it to invoke ruby-mode on .rb
files.

Cheers

Dave