    Justin> Apologies in advance for this meaty posting: I'm currently
    Justin> in the process of developing a Ruby implementation that's
    Justin> more suited to embedding.  I had a look at many languages,
    Justin> Smalltalk, Lisp, Scheme, Self, Python, Java, C#, Lua,
    Justin> ElastiC, but figured that Ruby has the cleanest and most
    Justin> appealing OO model and language syntax.

    Justin> Here's a few differences with regards to my
    Justin> implementation. I wonder if anybody here would like to
    Justin> comment:

    Justin> 1. I support the Ruby core language and object model but
    Justin> won't be implementing all of the libraries.  For example,
    Justin> file handling and regexp will be optional.  Networking and
    Justin> net programming won't be supported.  2. I've written a
    Justin> generational garbage collector that should be much faster
    Justin> than the Ruby mark-and-sweep collector.   [...]

Then you might consider using the garbage collector in Qish, see

   http://www.starynkevitch.net/Basile/qishintro.html

Qish contains a generational copying GC for and in C which also
supports finalized objects

(If the GPL license bother you and you prefer LGPL for the GC, please
email me)

    Justin> Justin Johnson justinj / mobiusent.com

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net
alias: basile<at>tunes<dot>org
8, rue de la Fa?encerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France