------_extPart_001_01C22116.89F2C0E0

I guess I will just have to pick up a machine that is twice as fast.  I'll
have to wait, what, six months?  (:

-----Original Message-----
From: Volkmann, Mark [mailto:Mark.Volkmann / AGEDWARDS.com]
Sent: 01 July 2002 16:43
To: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
Subject: RE: ruby vs. perl

I took a quick look at many of the performance tests at
http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/
<http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/> . You're right, Ruby is not 30 times
slower than Perl, but it seems to take about twice as long as Perl in most
of the tests. Some aren't quite that bad, but many are much worse than twice
as long. Python appears to be much closer to the performance of Perl than
Ruby.

NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and
proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its
subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely
for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or
other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and
may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for
viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract
may be construed by this e-mail.

------_extPart_001_01C22116.89F2C0E0

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>RE: ruby vs. perl</TITLE>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2716.2200" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=808394915-01072002><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>I
guess I will just have to pick up a machine that is twice as fast.&nbsp; I'll
have to wait, what, six months?&nbsp; (:</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Volkmann, Mark
  [mailto:Mark.Volkmann / AGEDWARDS.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> 01 July 2002
  16:43<BR><B>To:</B> ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> RE: ruby vs.
  perl<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <P><FONT size=2>I took a quick look at many of the performance tests at <A
  href="http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/"
  target=_blank>http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/</A>. You're right, Ruby is
  not 30 times slower than Perl, but it seems to take about twice as long as
  Perl in most of the tests. Some aren't quite that bad, but many are much worse
  than twice as long. Python appears to be much closer to the performance of
  Perl than Ruby.</FONT></P><CODE><FONT
size=3></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></CODE></BODY></HTML>
<BR>

<P><B><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed by this e-mail.</FONT></B></P>
<BR>

------_extPart_001_01C22116.89F2C0E0--