Dave Thomas wrote:

> Tobias Reif <tobiasreif / pinkjuice.com> writes:
>
>> > OPL is what Dave Thomas and Andy are
>> > using, so I'll likely follow suit.
>>
>>I suggest reading both or more licenses, then choose the one that fits
>>your needs.
>>
> And if you use the OPL, I strongly suggest exercising options 1 and 2,
> to prevent the loss of copyright that happened to us. I don't know
> what the GNU version would have done in these circumstances.

Boy, I had to close my mouth after long seconds; *loss of copyright*?

Dave, could you shortly explain what happened, and how to prevent it?
I'm sure that would be appreciated by many here, who are also making
decisions about licenses.

GFDL [1] says "Preserve all the copyright notices of the Document."
Here's a short note about why to use the GFDL [2].

http://www.rubycentral.com/book/
says
"Copyright ? 2001 by Addison Wesley Longman, Inc."

Shouldn't that be "? 2001 Dave Thomas Andy Hunt"?

http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/

With options 1 and 2, are you refering to

"A. To prohibit distribution of substantively modified versions without
the explicit permission of the author(s). "Substantive modification" is
defined as a change to the semantic content of the document, and
excludes mere changes in format or typographical corrections.

To accomplish this, add the phrase `Distribution of substantively
modified versions of this document is prohibited without the explicit
permission of the copyright holder.' to the license reference or copy.

B. To prohibit any publication of this work or derivative works in whole
or in part in standard (paper) book form for commercial purposes is
prohibited unless prior permission is obtained from the copyright holder.

To accomplish this, add the phrase 'Distribution of the work or
derivative of the work in any standard (paper) book form is prohibited
unless prior permission is obtained from the copyright holder.' to the
license reference or copy."

?

TIA,

Tobi