Subject: Re: Upgrading Ruby (wuz: Trying to deal with an "invalid multibyte char (UTF-8)" issue)
	Date: Mon 30 Mar 15 03:12:57PM -0400

Quoting leam hall (leamhall / gmail.com):

>    just because the community wants to quit supporting a version that's used
>    in production doesn't obligate or incline production users to spend their
>    resources.

If you have had your hands in software long enough, you cannot ignore
bitrot. Software that lives forever and software that's bug-free are
two myths that only managers with little experience who seldom write
code can harbour.

If I were you I'd be thankful that I'm being offered a very reasonable
path upwards, one that contributes real progress rather than being a
lame excuse for justifying another round of licensing.

Good software is a living entity. It needs to be watered regularly, or
it will wither. The transition to a more modern interpreter gives you
the opportunity to tend to it a bit.

Carlo