On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Hassan Schroeder <
hassan.schroeder / gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 9:14 AM, leam hall <leamhall / gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to slurp through a file with Ruby 1.9.x
>
> Why? Ruby 1.9.3 is EOL, no longer supported [1].
>
> >    irb(main):007:0> mystr = ['+']
>
> > Thoughts?
>
> Aside from the oddness of "mystr" being an array, this works fine
> in Ruby 2.2.1. What reason is there not to upgrade?

This seems to be a common question. In this case, it is so the tool I'm
writing actually gets used. My tool is for non-programmers. They will
generally have neither the time nor inclination to use a tool that requires
them to maintain a separate Ruby version.

My tool supports a tool that embeds Ruby. Thus the only version of Ruby I
can guarantee is available is that packaged version. That lets me lower the
barrier to usage.

So, really, support is secondary to usefulness.

Leam

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>