Hi all,

This is a summary of ruby-dev ML in these days.

---- ruby-dev #17442-17540 (2002-06-14 ... 2002-06-21) ----

[ruby-dev:17513] __END__ in literal

  Nobu Nakada pointed out the difference between __END__
  in "" and __END__ in here document.

    p <<EOS
    __END__
    EOS
    #=> "__END__\n"

    p "
    __END__
    "
    #=> unterminated string meets end of file

  But if it's fixed, we cannot use __END__ in <<'' or <<``.
  This problem is still open.

[ruby-dev:17421] broken string with unterminated "#{".

  In current ruby, "#{"abc"}" is parsed as '"abc"', not
  '"#{" abc "}"'. Is this behavior smart or bad?
  Tanaka Akira claimed that the notation of string is
  a kind of 'control structure' and it would come to be
  better that we can write Ruby's code in #{..} without
  any escaping. Matz agreed with his opinion.

TAKAHASHI 'Maki' Masayoshi     E-mail: maki / rubycolor.org