On 12/08/2014 03:03 PM, Harisankar P S wrote:
> +1, I agree it would be really helpful if libraries such as Mike's
> mail lib were part of the standard ruby libraries.
While it's convenient to have one's favorite libraries available by
default, maybe it makes more sense to make it even easier to install
gems.  Installing a gem has the advantage of allowing one to potentially
use a more current version of a library than would be available if said
library was included with stdlib.  Shipping fewer libraries with Ruby by
default also simplifies the Ruby release process.

Personally, running gem install or bundle install is plenty easy for me
when I need a library, but I know these things can be problematic for
people behind restrictive firewalls or when rubygems.org is down.  Are
there other reasons that installing a gem is not possible or simply too
much work?

-Jeremy