It's not that the questions are low quality. It's that that just is
something that has been covered many many times in a boatload of how to's
all over the internet.

In general , there is no need to run apache or mysql or even postgresql on
a localhost for development. Most of your development needs will be met
using the ruby on rails installer for windows, or using the plethora of
ways to install on any of your unix platforms. The only time you would
probably need to use apache or mysql, or even postgresql, would be because
you are coding for some *very* specific aspect of that *particular*
database engine, or webserver.

99% of this conversation is moot if you work for a company as they
generally tend to standardize the tool sets allowing developers the laxity
of using their preferred editor only. For 'home' use either a virtual
machine such as VirtualBox or VMWare, or a 'native' install such as with
the windows Ruby or RoR installers are sufficient to learn both Ruby, and
the Ruby on Rails framework.

Don't make this harder than it needs to be. There are a couple of minor
details that differ platform to platform, however, these are usually
detailed in the tutorials available just about anywhere.

I'm sure you know to look for the most *recent* tutorial you can find
closest to your search day. I'm also sure you're not going to just use
whatever tutorial you find, but will instead use the one you find most
commonly referred to when researching. I mention this just so it can't be
said it was never mentioned.