On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 05:27:50 +0900
Paul Duncan <pabs / pablotron.org> wrote:

> * Chris Gehlker (gehlker / fastq.com) wrote:
> [snipped]
> > We seem to have come full circle. I started these threads by asking
> > whether find and similar tools like stat sacrificed speed for
> > portability across file systems or whether they were sometimes
> > optimized for particular file systems. It seems that there my be
> > optimized tools but they aren't called'find', 'stat' or what have you.
> >
> > So the question for Ruby is whether to live with what we have, add
> > methods to use the faster tools when they are available, or develop
> > something fast and portable using a database and FAM.
>
> FAM uses polling on systems without kernel (eg Linux sans the imon
> patch) or dnotify support, and therefore is subject to the same speed
> considerations as find, stat, etc.

I realize that without the advantages of the imon patch to the kernel, the
idea is not practical, might as well use slocate. However  FAM is
installed and running on the RedHat 7.2 machines that I've installed
recently.

This email (note the date)
http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/gnome-vfs/2001-December/000934.html

says explicitly that imon is in the RH7.2 kernel.

The point here is that one of the most popular distrbutions has a fully
functional FAM setup. So, rather than argue on this list, I'm writing a
prototype in ruby to see if I'm right. If it works out Ok, maybe re-write
it in C++, if not, it will be a cool learning experience.

--
"Daniel P. Zepeda" <daniel@z,e,p,e,d,a,-,z,o,n,e.net>
(Remove commas for address)