I usually get the same response Robert.  I see both sides.  I love regexp
for it's surgical precision.  And once you get comfortable with the syntax,
indeed why not just do the extraction in one step?

But in practice I find that when I use regular expressions, then I have to
maintain that code because the developers around me prefer not to use this
power tool.  So I'd probably pick Agustus' solution too.