On 11/13/14, 11:52 AM, Ryan Cook wrote:
> don't think I'm understanding quite what you're looking for, but using
> Bundler with the "config.path" option set to a local (to your project)
> path will give you way to vendor all necessary dependencies.
>
> http://bundler.io/v1.7/bundle_config.html
>
> Is that helpful?

As I understand bundler, it allows you to create recipes to manage a
chain of dependencies in gems/libraries so that others building your
project can pull the right gems, from the right places, with the correct
versions, and their correct dependencies, and thus build your app or
project correctly. Very cool, but not quite what I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is a module or library that will scan the code in
my project, assemble a list of libraries and dependencies, and then pass
those lists for another library to copy those libraries/packages/gems
into a standalone application for deployment on other systems.

This is what the Perl "scandeps" module and the Python "modulefinder"
that I referenced earlier do--these libraries and similar packages are
key components to standalone app builders like Perl's Par::Packer module
or Python's py2exe/py2app. These modules are part of the core libraries
of these languages. By contrast, it doesn't seem that Ruby has such a
module in its core library.

Perhaps bundler can be massaged to provide something like the
functionality I seek.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer