Yup, we had some discussions around that at work.  We invested in =
upgrading Ruby because:

1) security concerns

2) no ability to retain and recruit when using a 5 year old platform

3) performance gains

Really nice being on the latest versions.  Open a new rails console and =
it just pops right up!

On Nov 7, 2014, at 10:59 AM, Wayne Conrad <kf7qga / gmail.com> wrote:

> It is indeed complicated.
>=20
> By the way: MRI 1.8.7 is not deprecated, as previously mentioned in =
this thread.  Actually it is no longer supported.  It doesn't even get =
security patches.  This happened mid-year:
>=20
>    https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2013/06/30/we-retire-1-8-7/
>=20
> Your managers may wish to factor in the risk of unfixed security holes =
when deciding whether and when to spend the money to upgrade to a =
supported Ruby.