> Right on.  I couldn't figure out a way to subscribe via email-only
commands to meta or try.discourse.org, nor could I find a way to
subscribe on the website with the text-only lynx browser.

Subscribe via email does not exist at the moment, we would need to
build that, I would be happy to write it if needed for a move like this.
We already have the lions share of the code used for "invite" user

Those who are concerned about the mailing list part of thing. Create an account
on meta and turn the email volume up: http://imgur.com/exR4k8A after doing that
you would no longer need to do anything via a web browser (except for create
topic on meta) cause we don't have this filled in http://imgur.com/5w4TbAl

I think the hybrid approach can work.

The bigger issue I can not resolve is sociological changes that will follow.
Reducing barriers to conversation will change the face of the group, we could
isolate some of this with categories, but overall a "new" type of people would
start posting here which may go against some people's desire.

I wonder if anyone here would refuse to have the content mirrored in a web
forum? That is a concern I can not really address.