quintus / quintilianus.eu wrote:
> I have no incentives to always run over to some web forum, and generally
> find mailinglists easier to use. It may also be that occasionally I am
> too lazy to start X and just use text mode, which generally plays not
> really well with highly designed websites. Having several different
> communities united by a single interface in my mail client is just
> superior to logging into a thousand different web forums which are
> designed one way or another with or without similarities.

Right on.  I couldn't figure out a way to subscribe via email-only
commands to meta or try.discourse.org, nor could I find a way to
subscribe on the website with the text-only lynx browser.

Using Ruby does not require a GUI, so discussing Ruby should not require
a GUI.  Heck, discussing anything using text should never require a GUI.

That said, reading old archives of newly-discovered lists is a pain for
many mailing lists.  Gmane is great, but NNTP is slow to sync for
offline reading.

ssoma + public-inbox[1] seems OK for the some Ruby projects I run; it
stores messages in git, and allows extracting messages to any
mbox/Maildir/IMAP location as well as feeding mlmmj lists.

[1] http://public-inbox.org/ + http://ssoma.public-inbox.org/