> This is nice. Sam, thank you for offering the hosting. I have never
> tried to move a community from one medium to another. Do you guys
> think it's worthwhile trying? If so we should probably collect
> feedback to judge how many people here would make the move.

We have move quite a few communities to Discourse from other formats.

http://discourse.mcneel.com/ moved from good'ol newsgroups, Parley moved
from Google groups, Docker are in the process of moving from Google groups.

All I can promise is that it is not all roses, some people love change others
can not stand it. Its universal constant that any shift in medium will lead to
some people being unhappy.

Overall I think there are plenty of advantages of making an official
move to Discourse,
clearly this would be my biased opinion.

- We have very close parity to current state of affairs (with mail in
/ out options)
- It would be very good PR for Ruby showing what kind cutting edge of apps can
be built with Ruby
- Syntax highlight / quoting etc.
- Search/history/linking/categorization and all that Jazz would be handy
- Security can be setup to give low noise areas to high visibility conversations

I definitely think that any kind of move needs to be sanctioned by
Matz / Koichi first,
even prior to experimentation. Ideally all the conversation moves to
the new medium.
It eliminates fragmentation and allows a central spot for Ruby
dev/user discussion.
Its not a kind of move that can be done rogue.