Sam Saffron <sam.saffron / gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the very late reply.
>
> We would be more than happy to host an instance of Discourse for Ruby
> talk. We already host http://parley.rubyrogues.com/ (which is private)
> and nutted a lot of the mail only issues.
>
> 1. We support reply via email
> 2. We support creating new topics via email (if explicitly enabled)
> 3. We support "mailing list mode" in which you get a mail for every post made.

Is there a way to allow non-subscribers to post?
ruby-talk unfortunately does not allow non-subscribers to post.

Good spam filtering is required for open-posting lists, though.  I
haven't checked how Discourse filters spam; but ruby-talk (and several
other subscription-required) lists still have occasional trouble with
spam.

> I completely understand the concern about the CLA, despite Discourse
> being GPL it does require a CLA for contribution, we have a few topics
> on the issues surrounding:
> https://meta.discourse.org/t/does-discourse-s-contributor-agreement-provide-an-exit-door-from-open-source/1399
> https://meta.discourse.org/t/a-question-on-gpl-licensing-and-the-current-wordpress-debacle/3355
> and https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-the-gpl-and-per-file-notice/7208
>
> We would be 100% extracting out reusable bits of Discourse into MIT
> gems, for example we have https://github.com/discourse/onebox under
> MIT and https://github.com/SamSaffron/message_bus under MIT. I would
> be more than happy to pull a lot of the mail processing out into its
> own gem.

Cool.  It would be great if you guys accepted patches/pull requests via
Discourse/email so users don't have to login to GH :)

> Discourse has a fair amount of advantages when it comes to running a
> large group, you could segment out groups that need more private
> discussions, or even have "observer only" categories. Talking about
> code is easier with syntax highlighting, markdown has its advantages,
> search is better and so on.

Is there an easy way to download all messages to a mbox/maildir for
offline reading?

I have my mail pager configured to do diff highlighting and use the same
editor for email as I do for code.  There's also some good local search
tools for offline reading.  I use mairix (it understands threading) and
I've heard good things about notmuch, too.