Hi,

Up till now I've just had a single .irbrc file in one directory =
(gemplay) which does a require_relative to the individual files in my =
gem so that when working on the gem I don't have to uninstall and =
reinstall the gem again with small changes and I've just been running =
irb from that one directory.

I've recently wanted to be in a position where if I'm in any other =
directory and start irb I want it to load the gem using require =
'gem_name'. I thought I'd be able to achieve that by adding a .irbrc =
file to my home directory while keeping the old behaviour when starting =
.irbrc from the (gemplay) directory. I get the opposite behaviour to =
what I was expecting, and the documentation confirms that my =
expectations were wrong:

http://ruby-doc.com/docs/ProgrammingRuby/html/irb.html

that the home directory .irbrc file has highest priority and it can't be =
overridden by the .irbrc file in the working directory.

Is there a clean workaround?, or do I need to do a check in the home =
directory .irbrc file to see if there is a .irbrc file in the working =
directory and load that (if that is even possible) and also to check =
that the working directory is not the home directory.

Thanks
Kevin