Excerpts from Sjouke Fikse's message of 2014-07-22 02:35:45 +0200:
> Hi everyone, I'm doing my best to get up to speed in ruby and rails. Within
> a test project, I'm trying to create an instance of a class in a spec file,
> but I'm failing to do this.
>
> These two files exists:
>   app/models/street.rb
>   spec/models/street_spec.rb
>
> Within the spec, I'm trying to create a new instance of the street class,
> but it doesn't know what street is. That's acceptable, I add `require
> 'streets'` and it still fails with
>
> $ rspec spec/models/street_spec.rb
> /home/sjouke/streetmap/spec/models/street_spec.rb:2:in `require': cannot
> load such file -- street (LoadError)
> Any idea why it wouldn't be loading the file appropriately?
> I'm also using rspec-rails.

I think the issue is that you need to tell require where 'street.rb' really is.
I never used rails, so I can't say if rspec is supposed to be able to determine
it automatically, but otherwise you'd need to either write

require './app/models/street.rb'

or

require_relative '../../../app/models/street.rb'

or call rspec adding your application directory to the load path, using the -I
option: rspec -I app

and use

require 'models/street'

I hope this helps