Brian Knapp <brianknapp / gmail.com> wrote:
> Why don't more programmers write against Rack directly?

Rack is probably too low-level for most folks and requires reading the
spec + docs to know what's going on.  I had to know the Rack and HTTP
specs for implementing servers, so it was natural to me.

> Well now I have to try yahns!

Great!  Please let us know if you have any questions/comments at
yahns-public / yhbt.net (no HTML email, please)

If you have many (16?) cores doing "Hello world", you may hit contention
problems in the Linux kernel.  3.13 and later kernels should be better,
but I think there's further room for improvement in the kernel
(but always more room for improvement in Ruby!).

> > No surprise with a single worker and non-concurrent, stop-the-world GC.
>
> Again, you'd be surprised how few people know about this stuff. Well, maybe
> you wouldn't be surprised, but a lot of people read blogs and pick whatever
> the flavor of the week is. After the RapGenius blog fight with Heroku, I'm
> sure interest in Unicorn jumped a bit. I'm not sure a lot of people
> understand when and why you would use Unicorn vs. a different server.

I'm not aware of what went on with RapGenius in particular.  Based on
what I saw on the unicorn mailing list from Heroku users, Heroku was
completely misusing unicorn since their proxy did not completely buffer
requests before forwarding them to unicorn.  I'm not sure if that
situation ever improved.

nginx is currently the only proxy I know to work with unicorn,
though I suppose I could whip an equivalent together with yahns in
case people don't feel like installing nginx.

> (Also, nobody can really do HTML)

Then get your mailer to stop sending HTML portions :)

> Eric, I'd also just like to say thank you for all the effort you put in
> unicorn, rainbows, and yahns. They are excellent projects and we use
> unicorn in production at work every day. At my previous job we used unicorn
> to power a site that raised millions of dollars to cure children's cancer,
> so your work is doing a lot to help make the world a better place.

Great to know!