> I suggest using Rack::MockRequest to test ORMs, even.  No need to have
> the web server variable in there when testing an ORM.
>
> For web server performance, I simulate a DB with:
>
>         sleep(expected_db_request_time)
>
> It's pretty uninteresting from a server point-of-view, and
> the unicorn (by design) completely sucks with slow databases.

That interesting. I was planning on writing a minimal Rack app to do this,
but Rack::MockRequest might be a better way to go. I'll look into that

> Hello world is a pretty good benchmark for servers themselves.
>
> Other benchmarks relevant for servers:
> * Large requests (uploads)
> * Large (dynamically-generated) response handling
> * zlib/gzip response compression (recent MRI release the GVL)

That's interesting. I guess those start to be sort of application dependent
and it really depends on your system load (read or write heavy, lots of
uploads, etc.)

A lot of this is really not obvious to test I guess unless you develop the
servers.

> Maybe relevant for servers, but you should also use Rack::MockRequest
> as a baseline:
> * Large view rendering (erb/haml/...),
>   this translates to a large response.

I'll look into Rack::MockRequest more. Seems like a useful thing to know.

Thanks!

-Brian