Robert,

Those are all awesome suggestions. I plan on probably testing most of them.
I don't know if I will mess with Oracle and MS SQL or not. Open source
projects are a lot easier to get ahold of, test, and so on. Also, some
commercial DB's have restrictions on what you are allowed to benchmark and
publish the results.  I know that's silly, but I'm pretty sure that's still
a thing.

Also, no I didn't fiddle too much with GC settings because I didn't know
what to fiddle with and most people probably don't know what to fiddle
with.  I'm always open to suggestion on things to fiddle with specifically.

-Brian


On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Robert Klemme <shortcutter / googlemail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Brian Knapp <brianknapp / gmail.com> wrote:
> > You're welcome!
> >
> > I plan on including relational and NoSQL. If you have suggestions, I'd
> love
> > to hear them.
>
> For RDBMS I would suggest
> MySQL / MariaDB
> PostgreSQL
> SQLite
> maybe Java DB / Apache Derby for JRuby
> HyperSQL? (again Java)
>
> If you want to test commercial ones you need (more effort because of the
> setup)
> Oracle (the free version has limited functionality)
> MS SQL Server
> DB2
>
> With NoSQL I'm not too familiar, a few come to mind
> MongoDB
> CouchDB
> maybe Redis
> maybe even PStore (yes, Marshal)
> maybe db4o for JRuby (Java OODB)
> maybe Neo4J (a Java graph database)
>
> The biggest issue with NoSQL databases is that they foster quite
> different concepts and you can easily end up rewriting your
> application because of completely different connectivity and access
> code. The situation is much more convenient with RDBMS because SQL is
> pretty standardized and ORM usually take care of the rest.
>
> > My goal is to isolate the DB performance, so it might be the same web
> > framework but different servers, frameworks, ORM's etc.
>
> As you say you'll have to combine parts from all categories with all
> others, i.e. extend the first benchmark with a persistent part and
> plug in all RDBMS into the ORM under test.
>
> > I want to do with ORM, without ORM, and so on and so forth.
> >
> > I'll probably do preliminary tests to see how much web framework impacts
> the
> > other things.
> >
> > It will probably be really ridiculous by the time it's finally done later
> > this year.
>
> You should especially calculate that efforts will be much higher than
> for the tests you did so far. One reason: there are more components.
> Another reason is the fact that setup of a relational database is
> significantly more complicated especially if you have to install
> Oracle (it's been a while but I assume that the setup is still pretty
> complex compared to "apt-get install postgresql"). On the bright side,
> with Oracle you get RMAN with which you should be able to restore a
> fixed initial state pretty easily.  Coming up with a suitable demo
> schema (including constraints, foreign keys and indexes) is probably
> also not that easy.
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert
>
> --
> [guy, jim].each {|him| remember.him do |as, often| as.you_can - without
> end}
> http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
>