On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Brian Knapp <brianknapp / gmail.com> wrote:
> You're welcome!
>
> I plan on including relational and NoSQL. If you have suggestions, I'd love
> to hear them.

For RDBMS I would suggest
MySQL / MariaDB
PostgreSQL
SQLite
maybe Java DB / Apache Derby for JRuby
HyperSQL? (again Java)

If you want to test commercial ones you need (more effort because of the setup)
Oracle (the free version has limited functionality)
MS SQL Server
DB2

With NoSQL I'm not too familiar, a few come to mind
MongoDB
CouchDB
maybe Redis
maybe even PStore (yes, Marshal)
maybe db4o for JRuby (Java OODB)
maybe Neo4J (a Java graph database)

The biggest issue with NoSQL databases is that they foster quite
different concepts and you can easily end up rewriting your
application because of completely different connectivity and access
code. The situation is much more convenient with RDBMS because SQL is
pretty standardized and ORM usually take care of the rest.

> My goal is to isolate the DB performance, so it might be the same web
> framework but different servers, frameworks, ORM's etc.

As you say you'll have to combine parts from all categories with all
others, i.e. extend the first benchmark with a persistent part and
plug in all RDBMS into the ORM under test.

> I want to do with ORM, without ORM, and so on and so forth.
>
> I'll probably do preliminary tests to see how much web framework impacts the
> other things.
>
> It will probably be really ridiculous by the time it's finally done later
> this year.

You should especially calculate that efforts will be much higher than
for the tests you did so far. One reason: there are more components.
Another reason is the fact that setup of a relational database is
significantly more complicated especially if you have to install
Oracle (it's been a while but I assume that the setup is still pretty
complex compared to "apt-get install postgresql"). On the bright side,
with Oracle you get RMAN with which you should be able to restore a
fixed initial state pretty easily.  Coming up with a suitable demo
schema (including constraints, foreign keys and indexes) is probably
also not that easy.

Kind regards

robert

--
[guy, jim].each {|him| remember.him do |as, often| as.you_can - without end}
http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/