Am 30.06.14 17:47, schrieb Xavier Noria:
> I have the impression that MLs globally decline, as Usenet did :(. No idea
> why, and no idea whether it is actually true, but hey why not throw a
> conjecture, huh? :)

I think Stackoverflow may contribute to that, at least for MLs like
this. It is generally considered good practice to at least do a web
search for a solution to a problem before posting the question to the
mailinglist. SO in my experience has often come up with either the
solution or a pointer in the right direction, so that posting the
question on ruby-talk wasn't needed anymore.

Also I have the impression that some or most of the more fundamental
discussions about the ruby language itself has shifted to ruby-core or
specific redmine tickets.

And then of course Twitter is even more common these days than it used
to be 6 years ago.

I actually don't think that this is specifically bad (or good) - it may
just be that communication habits have changed, and more specific tools
have evolved.

What I see as a excellent niche for the ML is announcements and
discussions about new or updated libraries, maybe as a place to converge
development or receive feedback and pointers to something useful. Which
is why I'm not bothered at all by the [ANN] posts that are so prevalent
these days here.

My 2 cents,

- Lars