I feel like the mailing-list(ML) is on the decline because most MLs are on
the decline. Also, content wise most of the emails I receive are pretty
much lacking...

Ruby as a whole is a language I do love...I was a total programming newbie
a year ago and learned both ruby and python...but gravitated more to Ruby
because I love how expressive and intuitive Ruby is. Recently though, I
have started using python more and more because there's just so much more
available to python users in terms of modules(Gems) , Web Frameworks, and
the community (to me at least) seems more robust. Rails dominates Ruby
almost to a point where most people don't explore the language for anything
other than web development.