On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Carlos Agarie <carlos.agarie / gmail.com> wrote:
> This is surprising behavior to me. In case no one finds a good explanation
> in this mailing list, I think you should send a ticket to ruby-core asking
> why it works this way (and fixing it in case there isn't a good reason to).

For the record: I asked in ruby-core and the answer is that it is a
design decision:

Marc-Andre Lafortune said:

"Your confusion is understandable, but this is not how the enumerators
were designed. At the end of the doc for `next` you'll find:

    Note that enumeration sequence by next does not affect other
non-external enumeration methods, unless the underlying iteration
methods itself has side-effect, e.g. IO#each_line

I think this design choice is in part because using `next` is much
slower then `each`."

So I guess that's it.

Jesus.