> I'm using the mkmf module to create a Makefile for a C extension I'm
> writing. Unfortunately, when I create the Makefile using
> 'create_makefile('foo')' in extconf.rb, the following line gets
> written out:
>
> LIBS = -L. -l$(RUBY_INSTALL_NAME) -lc
>
> This has the effect that my tiny piece of code is linked against
> libruby, which has the effect of making it unnecessarily huge. How can
> I stop mkmf from adding '-l$(RUBY_INSTALL_NAME)' to LIBS?

Well, you *have* to link your extension against the Ruby library so that it
can resolve your calls to functions like rb_define_method() et al. But I
would guess that you're linking against the static library (libruby.a)
instead of the shared library (libruby.so)? If so you need to go back and
configure the Ruby build to use a shared library instead, i.e.

    ./configure --enable-shared
    make
    make install

Hope this helps,