On 6/17/02 12:43 PM, "Thomas Sondergaard" <tsondergaard / speakanet.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 21:11, Chris Gehlker wrote:
>> On 6/17/02 11:36 AM, "Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne / acm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> If an SQL database is being used, then perhaps the _filesystem_
>>> doesn't have to get traversed, but that certainly doesn't eliminate
>>> the need to traverse the _database_.
>>
>> But the difference is the difference between accessing *one* file and
>> accessing *every* file. That's tremendous.
>
> According to that theory I should be able to improve my file system
> performance by using a filesystem that uses a single (big) file in
> (another) filesystem.

I don't understand your 'in (another) filesystem' qualifier but yes,
database filesystems, of which BeFS is probably the most famous, do just
that and they *are* notoriously fast.
--

Those who write clearly have readers, those who write obscurely have
commentators. -Albert Camus, writer and philosopher (1913-1960)