On 2002.06.12, Sean Russell <ser / germane-software.com> wrote:
> james / rubyxml.com wrote:
> > Larry Wall once said that systems should be generous in what they accept,
> > and strict in what they emit.
> > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/larry.html
>
> With all due respect to Larry, this is simply not a responsible philosophy
> in many problem domains.  [...]
>
> "Oops.  Sorry about that.  There was a missing <zipcode> tag in the order,
> so when the wrecking crew saw 'Hudson St.', they assumed it was NORTH
> Hudson St., and your house looked kinda shoddy to them anyway..."

While I totally agree with Sean, I think Sean missed James's point.

I would enjoy an XML parser and XML validator that allowed me to parse
an XML document that failed to validate so that I could try and figure
out (programmatically) what caused it to fail so that I could present
the human-user an intelligible error message, rather than a simple
"Sorry, your XML document failed to validate." but rather show things
like "Node <zipcode> in the node <address> for <person name="Sean E.
Russell"> was missing."

I don't know if this was really James's point after all, but I guess
this is what I'd want to say ...

> Remember, .001% of a year is 8 hours... how much would you mind having
> a day's pay taken out of your paycheck?

Ouch!  Stop that!  Who are you, the IRS?!  :-)

-- Dossy