----- Original Message -----
From: <james / rubyxml.com>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 11:05 AM
Subject: RE: RubyCOM, ActiveScriptRuby, etc.

> I did take a look at it, but could not find a way to tell HomeSeer what
> scripting language to use. I *think* this is something set at compile
time,
> so if HomeSeer isn't built to understand ActiveRubyScript it won't know
how
> to load and execute the scripts. Anyway, it's been a  while since I wrote
> any Windows Scripting Interface stuff (though it is nice to use).

Here's all I know/guess about that.

A developer at HS said that it would be trivial to support
Ruby if I could provide him the "magic string" (my term, not
his). arton told me this was "RubyScript". So Rich H. at HS
sent me a binary that supported this. Never worked for me,
though. As for whether HS still knows this magic string, I
couldn't say; I asked Rich about that today in email.

As for choice of scripting languages, I know that HS supports
both VBscript and Perl(Script) out-of-the-box. I believe that
it just uses the file extension for this purpose: VBScript
scripts have to have a ".txt" extension, for instance, and I
think it's ".pl" for Perl (and I assume .rb for Ruby).

Hal Fulton