----- Original Message -----
From: <james / rubyxml.com>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 1:56 AM
Subject: RE: RubyCOM, ActiveScriptRuby, etc.

> > I ask this periodically in hopes that
> > new people will see it. Forgive the
> > repetition.
> >
> > Who out there is interested in these
> > topics? Other than Ralph Mason and
> > arton, I mean.
>
> Which topics? RubyCOM and ActiveScriptRuby, or HomeSeer, or the
> combination?
>
> I'm very interested in RubyCOM and ActiveScriptRuby, but don't have any
> real use for HomeSeer.

Well, I'm looking for someone at least willing/able to
help me mess with HomeSeer. That may not be you...

arton is very helpful, but is unable to install HS on
his (Japanese) Windows box... Ralph Mason is also
knowledgeable and helpful, but busy, as we all are.

I won't try to sell you on HS, but FYI, it can run
without any extra hardware. Also it could theoretically
be useful even if you don't do home automation, as it
interfaces with MS Agent (for voice rec, etc.) and can
easily launch external apps, do COM stuff with other
apps, handle timed events, etc.

The "right" thing to do would be to use ASR directly
from within HS. It just doesn't work for me, and I've
yet to find a way to begin to find why not. It's quite
possible that it works and I've simply done something
wrong.

As a workaround, RubyCOM works for me... I can call a
Ruby program from a one-line VBScript program in a
specific, clunky way. I'm unfamiliar with COM in general,
and it's hard for me to see what I can and can't do.

Anyway, just trolling for tech support. :)

Thanks,
Hal Fulton