"me" <dennisn / pe.net> writes:

> For most stuff it may not matter.  But for some stuff it would
> be nice to know.  Ex:  sorting 100,000 line text file, or searching
> it for lines containing the string "peachblossom".  Thx.

Don't know about sorting, but when I first encountered Ruby I
translated to Ruby a Perl program of mine that gets used for searching
specialized log files on the order of 60 MB for arbitrary patterns.
The Ruby version was significantly faster.  I submitted the results to
some people I know who are Perl adepts and partisans; they couldn't
see any reason why the Perl program was at a disadvantage.

/Lew
--
Lew Perin / perin / mail.med.cornell.edu / perin / acm.org
www.panix.com/~perin/