> Well, AFAIK (I installed DBI a looong time ago), Ruby/DBI uses
> ruby-postgresql.  Again, I may be way off-base here, but I
> believe that DBI
> is predominantly an API layer on top of other DB interfaces.  In
> the case
> of PostgreSQL, I believe that you'll find that if you try to install DBI
> with access for PostgreSQL, you'll be required to install
> ruby-postgresql.

This is true.  I recently rebuilt a system and after some frustration and
README perusing found that, indeed, using DBI with PostgreSQL requires
ruby-postgresql underneath.

DBI lets you ignore the details of the underlying database, but prevents
you from using every feature of any particular DB.

James