Ned Konz <ned / bike-nomad.com> writes:

> On Sunday 02 June 2002 06:54 pm, Philip Mak wrote:
> > I saw a bunch of Ruby examples on the web that involve the assert()
> > method. However, I can't seem to use it. Does this method exist /
> > what do I have to do to be able to access it?
> >
> > irb(main):001:0> assert(true)
> > NameError: undefined method `assert' for #<Object:0x401ddce0>
> >     from (irb):1
>
> The Test::Unit library defines a number of assert methods, but they're
> only used in test suites, not in regular code.

In the beginning there was Ruby::Unit. Then comes a lot other
unit-testing packages. Ruby::Unit is still used by some people (like
me). The main problem for this mailing list's reader with ruby unit is
most of its documentation is in Japanese. However an excellent
tutorial for Ruby::Unit is at
http://www.eng.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/ruby/ruby-unit.html

But, now it seems Test::Unit is the favoured unit-testing packages. It
is going to be included in standard ruby distribution. For now, you
can access it at http://testunit.talbott.ws. Full documentation is at
that site. Test::Unit provides all that Ruby::Unit provides and some
more.

YS.