On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 09:33:03PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> Chad Perrin <code / apotheon.net> wrote:
> > I have discovered need of mailing list management capability for a
> > Sinatra-based site, specifically without licensing restrictions that
> > would be incompatible with copyfree licenses (e.g. MIT/X11 License, Open
> > Works License, or Simplified BSD License).  A fair bit of ability to
> > customize configuration/functionality/whatever in Ruby is desirable.
>
> Does it have to be 100% Ruby?

No, not necessarily -- but it would be nice if it came with a pleasant
Ruby API and did not need "manual" dependency management outside of just
using "gem install".

> You could probably have most of your logic in the Sinatra app, and have
> whatever MDA you use call "curl -T" to have your Sinatra webserver
> process the PUT request.

I guess I'll have to look into how specifically I would do that.

> > That means no copyleft, no proprietary, et cetera, and a Ruby API.
> > Ideally, it would have no dependencies that cannot be gotten via "gem
> > install foo".  Unfortunately, searching for terms like "mailing list
> > Ruby", "mailing list Ruby gems", "mailing list Sinatra", or anything
> > similar tends to lead me to stuff like this mailing list, the Sinatra
> > mailing list, StackOverflow advice to use Lamson (which has some of the
> > most malicious licensing I've ever seen, in addition to being Python and
> > thus unsuitable to my purposes), and so on.
>
> Wow, I didn't see Lamson's license changes until now.  Eeep!
> (Disclaimer: I love copyleft, though).

It shouldn't matter whether you "love copyleft" -- the Lamson license is
about nine kinds of awful.  It makes the WotC migration from Open Game
License to Game System License look almost benign by comparison.