Thanks for asking, Avdi! I wish I had a dramatic "killer" app to answer
your question, but....

The story is that I learned a bit of Javaspaces and Jini back around
2001-2, when a coworker was promoting it for service discovery (he was
interested in fleets of UAVs, now known as drones, and supervisory
aircraft). Happily, there was a Ruby version of Javaspaces, namely
Rinda, that was easy to play with.

Since then, I used Rinda here and there as a lightweight way to set up a
distributed dataflow (simulation and sensor data analysis stuff), or
control access to resources. Last spring I started trying to make Rinda
better and even got a few patches accepted. But I realized that Rinda's
centralized architecture was always going to be a problem. Hence a
rewrite with the minimum of central state and processing.

Would be interested in finding applications for it, though :)