On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM, SMITH GREY <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> To give a bit of back story to what I am doing : I work in a small
> jewellery design studio and we work off a shared drive where we store
> all our projects.
>
> As of now I am looking to generate directories for our various shared
> projects such as:
>
> 1: seasonal collections
> 2: bespoke work
> 3: customisations
> 4: wholesale orders
>
> Each time we need to generate a new directory I would like to give it a
> name which then replaces a variable in the folder names and also copy
> over files such as maya, photoshop etc which I have already made.

So, you have different types of projects as indicated above.  For each
type of project you have a directory tree with files that serves as
template. Did I get that right?

If so, the easiest solution to me seems to be to have a template
directory with a subdirectory for each project type. If you start a
new project you copy the appropriate template directory and rename it.

> An example part of such a directory would look like this:
>
> *** Cut out of a collection directory ***
>
> {collection name}
> {collection name}_inspiration
> {collection name}_artwork
> Illustrator
> In the illustrator folder I will need to copy over pre made illustrator
> files
> Photoshop
> In the Photoshop folder I will need to copy over pre made photoshop
> files
> {collection name}_3D
> {collection name}_maya
> In the maya folder I will need to copy over pre made maya render files
> files

So you intend to have folders which have names that depend on the
project and folders with fixed name at the same level. That does not
seem to make sense to me. Or are "Illustrator" and "Photoshop" nested
in "{collection name}_artwork"?

> I wanted to take the template route as it would allow me to make
> corrections or new types of structures without having to go through the
> codes every time - this would also allow my partner (less coding savvy)
> to make templates without opening the ruby files or having to involve me
> every time.
>
> Also I can imagine I would do a small GUI to make the directory
> structure templates so that you can drag-drop and reorder at will and
> then just phase them in to the main script to use them as needed.

So the problem you are trying to solve is not creation of a new
project but creation of a new project template?

Kind regards

robert

--
[guy, jim].each {|him| remember.him do |as, often| as.you_can - without end}
http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/