So you want to take:

strings = ["HTML", "CSS", "JavaScript", "Python", "Ruby"]

... and create from it:

symbols = [:HTML, :CSS, :JavaScript, :Python, :Ruby]

The Array#each method [1] allows you to do something with each member of
strings, and the String#to_sym [2] method allows you to create a symbol
from a string. So roughly:

make a new array called symbols
for each entry in strings, create a corresponding symbol, and put it in
your new symbols array.

Hope that helps!

Sam

[1] http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-2.1.1/Array.html#method-i-each