Hi,

Conrad Schneiker wrote:

> What I have in mind is RIG-IT, the Ruby's Integrating GUI-based
> Innovator's Toolkit. (Although the program name is rigit, I write it
> rig-it to reflect its intended pronunciation, which in turn reflects the
> intended purpose of helping new users to rapidly rig up useful tasks to
> demonstrate the utility of Ruby to their co-workers and managers) The
> idea of rig-it is to provide an interface to let users view, run, copy,
> clone, and customize lots of useful code examples (i.e. the same sort of
> stuff that I was thinking of putting into the Ruby Cookbook FAQ, if I
> ever got around to it). Think of rig-it as an executable demo FAQ that
> is designed and commented to help you to easily customize it for your
> own purposes. This same framework could also serve as a hybrid GUI/shell
> for launching user programs/scripts. By judiciously modifying rig-it
> itself (or another copy thereof), many fairly mundane but common sorts
> of programming/scripting tasks could readily be developed, with a
> tolerable GUI for their non-programming end-user clients to use.
>
> Any thoughts or comments?

Since you want this to help Ruby self-propagate, a more suitable
meme-semantics would be "try-it" instead of "rig-it", which could be
assigned the base phrase "The Ruby Yielding Innovation Toolkit". Indeed, you
could probably drop the "-" crutch with tryit, and people will probably
still read and pronounce it as intended. Looking into the future: "Hmm. If
you want to do that, you should get the latest Ruby distribution and tryit."
Or on buttons at the next open source conference: "Tryit with Ruby.")

--
Conrad Schneiker