Conrad Schneiker <schneik / austin.ibm.com> writes:

> Somewhat in the spirit of Hal's self-replicating Ruby programs, I've
> been thinking for some time about what sort of Ruby application would
> facilitate the multiplicative propagation of Ruby.

Well, you could build it into Microsoft Outlook, and then write a
virus ;-)

> What I have in mind is RIG-IT, the Ruby's Integrating GUI-based
> Innovator's Toolkit.

I think this is a cool idea. You paint a picture of a kind of
drag-n-drop-build-a-tool tool, which sounds ideally suited to
Ruby. It'll be interesting to get the right component structure to
allow the various sub-components to play together sensibly as users
drag them in to configurations not conceived of at design time. It
might also be an idea to design it from the start to allow the
components to be distributed across heterogenous machines, as
management of those environments is still a challenge.

I seem to remember Xerox doing some work like this in the early 80s
with Smalltalk, but that's very fuzzy.

The project sounds like fun.

Regards

Dave