Subject: Writing a script to download videos
	Date: Wed 12 Feb 14 01:54:47PM +0530

Quoting Himel Sarkar (hsarkar.007 / gmail.com):

> I'm trying to write a script to download my edX course videos for me. This
> is what I've written but it doesn't seem to be working. can someone help me
> out please?

When I try to download whatever points to your URL with 'wget', I do
not get any sort of MP4 video stream - just a HTML warning page. If
you are sure about the URL, this probably means that successful
communication to the website requires the setting of some sort of
cookies, and/or other sorts of out-of-band data exchange. You need to
make sense of the complete conversation that takes place between your
browser and the site, and then mimic the conversation.

This is not an easy task, and requires you to learn a lot of
things. Both for sniffing and for mimicing, Ruby can be an excellent
help, but the only way I know requires learning the ins and outs of
how HTTP conversation takes place. If you type on your terminal

ri Net::HTTP

do you understand what you read? If you don't, then maybe the task is
too large a step for you.

Maybe someone else on the list can propose a ready-made saolution...

Carlo