On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Wayne Brisette <wbrisett / att.net> wrote:
> Being a technical writer, not a programmer, I will often write script with
> names that make sense to me while I'm working on them, but then later decide
> the script really needs to be renamed.  Before I got involved with using git
> for version control, I would just rename my scripts if I decided I didn't
> like the name. With Git (or any other version control software), I'm
> wondering what others think is a best practice. Is it to just rename it on
> github, then pull it again locally? or should I change it locally and push
> out to github, or does it really matter?

Git tracks the contents of the files, so it's able to follow a rename
perfectly fine.
For example, I created a file called test.txt, and commited it. Later,
I renamed it to renamed.txt, and added it (I also had to git rm
test.txt), the result was:

$ git status
# On branch master
# Changes to be committed:
#   (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
#
#    renamed:    test.txt -> renamed.txt
#

Jesus.