To be honest, coming from a more Java-equse background, I had some trouble
with Ruby's idioms.  While I've come to grok the way that Ruby's usual
idioms do and do not omit parentheses and use hashes to pass sets of
optional parameters, I'm not sure that it's wise to try and teach students
the hows and whys of programming syntax in such an environment.